Beginners may not have heard of Smart Objects. However, this is an advanced option and if you know how to use it, you can edit perfect, natural photos while keeping the original image quality.
What is Smart Object Removal in Photoshop?
Smart Objects are a special type of layer that allows non-destructive editing to be done in Photoshop. When you convert a normal layer into a smart object, the content in that layer is saved separately as a subfile. When you edit a lot, the original content remains unaffected.
These smart objects can contain both vector and raster content, and act as normal layers. You can make selections and use masks. This is more useful as you can access and edit any source content by double-clicking the thumbnail for that layer in the Layers panel.
Learn more: Photoshop edits or removes objects
Pros and cons of smart object removal in Photoshop
With Smart Objects, you can:
- Performing non-destructive transformations, you can rotate, scale, skew, transform, distort, perspective, or warp the layer without losing the quality of the original image.
- Working with vector data from Illustrator
- Apply different smart filters to Smart Object and can be removed at any time
- You can unlink the layer mask with the smart filter easily.
Advantages of Smart Objects
Smart Objects are extremely useful, but they also have a few downsides that you need to be aware of:
- Files that contain smart objects are usually heavier because they are larger than regular files and require more system resources.
- They can also be more complicated because you are using multiple smart objects. You need to label and group the layers together correctly to arrange them neatly.
- Smart objects are not directly editable so you can’t use brush or clone stamp tools on an image without converting them to a raster layer. This will lose the benefits of smart objects.
Learn more: Remove background objects from image
How to use the Smart Objects feature
The following will be a specific example of how to use the Free Transform tool to apply Smart Object in removing objects on an image in Photoshop.
You can absolutely use any version of Adobe Photoshop from CS3 and up to perform the following photo editing operations:
Step 1: Select 2 layers at the same time by holding down the Ctrl key on the keyboard and left clicking on 2 layers (1 normal layer and 1 layer Smart Object)
Step 2: Press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + T to use Free Transform
Step 3: Drag from any corner to reduce the size of 2 layers at the same time
Step 4: Press ENTER to apply the change and turn off the Free Transform tool.
Step 5: Press Ctrl + T again and drag any corner of the image to increase the image size again.
Overall, Smart Object – smart remove object is a feature, not a tool, so it is quite complicated to use. If you are a non-specialist in editing, removing objects, removing backgrounds in Photoshop, you really need a course. However, things have become simpler now when you can use our object removal service in photos. Elite Photo Editing can confidently help you get the most natural and quality photos after editing and deleting.
Contact us via the following information to start the project now!
Phone: Mr. Henry Bui (84)3677 55686
Support: [email protected]